Saturday, May 12, 2012

Protecting my tomatoes

Out of the 5 tomato plants, 2 (cherokee purple and brandywine) were completely destroyed by the birds/squirrel. One seedling (second cherokee purple) was torn up pretty badly but I feel like it can recover.  I  have 2 cherokee purple seedlings that I started from seeds that are almost ready for transplanting. I am thinking one can go to the community garden and the other I will grow in a 5 gallon container. Instead of the brandywine (I have a second one in the garden that was not killed), I decided to get San Marzano tomato. I also caged them up using wire fencing as a temporary fix. These cages are too short and will need to replaced eventually. The garden is getting pretty full. I am trying to figure out if I can squeeze in some cucumbers...I love cucumbers and would love to taste some fresh out of the garden.

6 comments:

  1. great! Hopefully that will deter the big pests!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope it works, birds have been my nemesis. They always seem to go after the smallest plants.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess the younger they are, the tastier?

      Delete
  3. Its exciting that you have more space to grow now other than your balcony. I tried planted tomato closely with cucumber but it did not go well. Perhaps not liking each other company?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll take that into consideration! Maybe I can find some space on the balcony. Thanks!

      Delete