Sunday, May 15, 2011

Wind barrier

Since ikea was out of the wind barrier in the color I wanted, I decided to make one. The total cost was about $40: 5'x16' sun screen fabric ($25),  nylon rope ($7) and grommits ($7).
My balcony transformed from this
to this:
I made enough to cover the whole balcony but left one side open because this screen is too effective. Today the balcony temp was 80-100 and with the rain last night it was too muggy without any breeze. Another great thing about this screen is that it creates some privacy. As you can see, the area in front of the balcony is a parking lot so the screen makes the balcony more private.
The zucchinis that had the wind burn have recovered very nicely and male flowers are starting to appear.
All in all, this balcony garden is progressing quite well. Now the only thing to finalize everything is to get a board so that the pots do not sit directly on the balcony. 


  1. Glad you were able to improvise and get your wind cover made. Things are looking good!!

  2. Oh, I like that! Not only will it make your plants happier, it will make you more comfortable while sitting out there. Your plants are looking great! I could never make things grow well in containers, I just don't have the patience to take care of them. Maybe if that was my only option I could do it.

  3. Thanks Holly. I'm glad I don't have to worry about the little plants during the storms!!

    Granny, I've seen your container garden! It's terrific! One day I will have a in ground garden. But first i will perfect my container gardening skills:)