I was listening to an episode of "grow your grub" podcast where Steve talks about seaweed fertilizer. This reminded me that I have several packages of very old and stale nori seaweed in my pantry (that is not edible). Steve sent me a great link about making fertilizer using kelp. I also have kelp in my pantry but they are still good to eat so I will not use this. I think that nori can be used instead but I want to test if this homemade fertilizer is effective. So I decided to set up an experiment. I had basil, peas (the ones I tried germinate in a paper towel), and tomato seedlings that I could use.
|tomato seedlings that are quite cramped and stunted, subjects of the experiment|
|Top row: peas, Middle: tomatoes, bottom: basil. The column on the left is MG, the rest of the "regular soil"|
|After watering, soil dissolves to about half the volume|
|The coffee colored liquid that is seeped out|
|Chilling on my windowsill|
|The salad was good|