Thursday, July 7, 2011

Eggplants!

Since moving the containers into the shade all three plants are doing much better. The ichiban eggplant flowers stopped dropping and have begun to set fruit. These new fruits are smaller than the earlier eggplants, but I'm happy to see that the flowers are pollinating. I'm having a bit of a problem with spider mites (you can tell see that the leaves are looking a little brown and spotty). I'm using homemade insecticidal soap - hopefully it be OK.
The Gretel eggplant is also doing well.  I'm seeing beautiful white eggplants. Looks great.
The Fairytale eggplant is still not growing laterally but there are a couple of flowers and a handful of beautiful purple-white striped tiny eggplants. I love the color! We'll see how it tastes.

6 comments:

  1. Beautiful varieties of eggplants you are growing. I wonder how white eggplant taste like.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Fairy Tale eggplant that I've had was sweet and non-bitter, in any way. I was plesantly impressed with it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on getting your eggplant mojo back!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. awesome. My sole eggplant that had so much promise in its container is being neglected. The near 100 degree days are not helping.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, the eggplants are really sensitive to hot weather. Now they are being attacked by different insects, mostly spider mites. I just found a cluster of eggs of something. I'm not sure...it was disgusting.

    ReplyDelete