Monday, May 7, 2012

Harvest Monday - 5/7/2012

I have been busy setting up my community garden and my muscles are a little sore from hauling compost and turning the old soil. Gardening is a great way to get some physical activity, and unlike being at the gym, I can be out there for hours at a time.

Last week I harvested some bok choy and kale (more like thinning than harvesting). I also have some wild arugula that are ready for thinning/harvesting. I grew this last year and it was really spicy. I thought maybe it was because I started them when it was already quite hot, so I sowed it earlier this year. There is a nice arugula taste in the beginning but pretty quickly the spice (beyond peppery) hits you.  I'll just let it grow out and cook it rather than eating it raw.
Bok choy, arugula, kale
My second harvest was included some red and green romaine lettuce leaves. The romaine lettuce is doing quite well and pretty soon I will be able to cut down on the amount of lettuce I buy. I also harvested a handful of sugar snap peas. They are very sweet raw, but I prefer to blanch them (they get incredibly sweet).
Snap peas, romaine, kale, bok choy
I'm joining Daphne for Harvest Monday. Please go and check out all the wonderful greens that are being harvested by gardeners around the world!

9 comments:

  1. Great harvest!
    "Kale Juice" is popular in Japan since it contains various nutrition like vitamins and calcium.
    I love stir-fried snap peas. Adding a little amount of say sauce while frying them can enhance their sweet taste.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I remember the funny "aojiru" commercials. I will try frying them with a little soy sauce. It sounds delicious!

      Delete
  2. I agree, blanching the sugar snap peas really brings out the sweetness even more, stir-frying briefly does the same also. Nice greens.

    ReplyDelete
  3. lovely greens. Missed my sugar snaps this year; darn birds got a lot plus the crazy weather we had over winter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry to hear about the birds eating your peas:( I'm going to try to grow more in the fall.

      Delete
  4. Waiting for my sugar snap peas to size up, they look more like snow peas to me, wonder the seed packet was mislabeled.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a summer squash plant that looks completely different from the package. So it is possible that you have something different. I hope the peas you have tastes good!

      Delete
  5. Nice greens and I wish I can have some of your snap peas :).

    ReplyDelete