Sunday, July 29, 2012

Oven dried red pepper flakes - DO NOT INHALE!

The longhorn super hot peppers are going strong and I've been harvesting about 1-2 a day. I didn't know what to do with them so they've been sitting on my countertop. I decided I will try to make oven-dried red pepper flakes. Here are the beautiful red longhorn peppers.
Cleaned and dried red peppers
I cut off the stem and sliced them in half (do not get them on your lips or eyes!). 
I popped them in the oven at 150C (the lowest temperature on my oven) and cooked them for about 2 hours.  If you do this, it might be good to open the windows because the fumes will make you cry. I probably left the peppers in the oven for too long or I should have flipped them around a little bit more - they were crispy but a little burnt. 
I then threw them into the blender to break them down. When you do this, DO NOT open the blender and breathe in the red pepper powder! You will be in great pain, really. The final red pepper flake is really spicy but absolutely delicious. I have used them on pasta - you just need a little pinch and it will spice up your dish. Delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment